Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Ah the joys of having a bun in the oven

Which by the way is a term I've never quite understood. I get the reference to something is cooking inside you, and believe me it is quite hot, but a bun? Babies are not bun-like. It should be "a monkey in the oven" or "a watermelon in the oven". But who really cooks a watermelon I guess. So some fun things I would like you all to know and empathize about. Firstly, at no other point in your life will a complete stranger feel it is appropriate to rub your belly. This is a truly one of the joys. I had some one do this in the store in passing, granted it was more of a pat, but I couldn't have been more shocked if the old lady had slapped my butt. Seriously, can I just get one of those museum signs that says please do not touch. Secondly, I can no longer get out of bed without swinging my arms and legs over my awkward body and rolling out (the swinging is meant to get the momentum going). Sometimes I forget my excess bulk when trying to stand up from the couch (or toilet) and I fall back down. I am only 5 mos pregnant this is going to get worse. Thirdly, I pee my pants more than my 4 yr. old. Pretty much every time I sneeze. Fourthly, being intimate with my significant other. Enough said. It's awkward, I'll let you use your imagination if you want to(trust me you don't). Now I'll be the first to admit there are many other joys to being pregnant including the baby at the end, but these are a few of my favorites. There I updated my blog. I'm sure you're all thrilled now you can go back to holding your breath for another 2 mos.

7 comments:

Kristen said...

I feel somewhat guilty that you changed it to "word of the trimester". But hey, at least the pressure's off to perform weekly, right?

Oh, and I could recommend a good book to shake up the positions for intimacy with a pregnant person--I think it's printed in India?

Good luck, you pregnant Pygmy, you.

Kao said...

I had to laugh! Oh the joys of being pregnant! Isn't it sad that we have more accidents than our kids? I'm glad it's not only me! I'm better now though. I don't want you to think I still have issues.

BTW-do you know what you are having?

elesa said...

Ah, there is a reason that you are my favorite. Because no one else can make me laugh quite the way you can. And, I should think it would be pretty obvious that the reason they call it a bun in the oven is because of the way a bun RAISES. Nothing else grows when cooking quite like a bun. The reasons are pretty similar for why they call your backside buns.

Nava_jo said...

I'm five months along now, and I got my first Grocery store belly rub. My Husband LOVED IT, he was such a proud papa. After wards he put my hand on my back and almost non'verbally invited all to rub his pregnant wifes belly. I started to say how weird it was, and he told me, "Jo it's a blessing we need to share with everyone"

Just wait until he is pregnant and people rub his belly in the frozen food aisle. Then we will see what a blessing it is. :)

Nic@Nite said...

Great post. You should be updating weekly with all your humor! Wish I could rub your bun or bum, maybe if you and James ever would come to Iowa and see us!

Jess said...

I'm blog-hopping right now, and found yours. I hear about you guys through Grandma, but hadn't heard #3 was on its way, so Congrats!!

-Jessica (James' cousin)

Kao said...

So, Tiffany finally updated her blog. What happened to you? Ok, I guess I haven't updated mine in a few weeks.