Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Are you a Blog Addict?

Do you find yourself linking from blog to blog reading one after another, spending hours coming up with pithy comments and losing precious time while doing so? Maybe looking for a giggle or two or a tidbit of knowledge. I have a few friends I believe to be blog addicts. I also believe there are those out there who are blog users. Now this is a much more serious offense. Blog users will visit your blog, laugh at your admittedly clever and witty publications, and then move on. The crime here is that they don't let you know how funny and clever you are by leaving a comment, or responding to a tag. They visit your site, have a good chuckle and leave you empty handed. They are effectively using you for your blog. These invisible offenders leave no trace of their crime so they are very difficult to detect. I have found the only way to do so is to bait suspected offenders in actual conversation with a question they could only know if they had been reading my blog. Like "I don't even think hijinks is a word is it? Or "Do you know the approximate population of Monaco?" Only by these wise and ingenious devices can I discover which of my supposed friends are reading my blog but not leaving a comment. I (and I'm not trying to adopt a holier-than-thou attitude here) almost always leave at least one comment to show people that their hard work on their blog is appreciated. And even if I don't think their entry was clever enough to leave a witty comment, I at least say "hey, how are you?" or "cute picture" at least something. Don't worry, I'm expecting most of my comments on this post to be "hey, how are you?" I didn't post a picture, so you can't fall back on that one you vile blog users. Take that!!!!

18 comments:

Gretch said...

Oh Marion, I'm sure there have been times that you check a blog and don't leave a comment.

How I miss when we would hijinks in Milwaukee. Such fond memories.

Miss you!

Nic@Nite said...

I would like to know which of your friends is a blog user? Did you count me as one of them? Caus if you didn't then you really should. I love to leave comments on your blog cause you only post once every quarter, people who post more often might not get a comment on every post. But really people leave a comment, it is the fun part of bloggin'!

elesa said...

Hey! How are you?

elesa said...

I love that every time you write a new post you also change your background and font. And I'm NOT addicted!

elesa said...

Ok. You're right. I'm addicted.

elesa said...

By the way, i really love your word and country information. A lot. But your word section still seems to be talking about antimacassars. Am I wrong?

elesa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristen said...

Hey, great work on your blog entry!

Oh-and I've heard that at Google Analytics you can track your blog stalkers or users. Apparently it tells you how many people are looking at your blog, when, for how long and their location. (It sounds almost spy-cool) I tried to make it work on my blog, but it only changed my background from blue to white. Anyway, if you can figure out how to make it work, kudos. And then help me!

ae said...

yep, I'm a hit and type blog user, no comments from me.

Leon said...

Hey, cute picture

Anonymous said...

Some say "blog addict"...some say "well read". And yes, I am well read.

Robs said...

I'm with you! I love comments! I am guilty of being a blog addict! By the way...hey, how are you?

Kao said...

:)...does that count?

Nakki said...

Blog addict? Thanks to Cash and Kao I was able to "link" to your page (as soon as I figured out which was your lastname...I forgot)...but you look lovely! Love the little kid pics. Plus you little ones are darling as well:)

Catherine Call said...

I am guilty!! This was a great entry to your great blog!! It made me laugh at myself.

There! How was that?!?

J said...

Update your blog!!

Oh and a big Happy 30th Birthday today!!!!!

Susanne Hagberg said...

Guilty! Saw your blog on Elesa's and wondered if you would remember us from the "day of Sewing" at my daughters home in Bountiful. (Before the Richard and Elesa wedding)
Anyway, it was fun to read about you and your family.
I have two blogs but they are strictly historical and Genealogical... so I don't get many outside visitors...must be for my eyes only!

Anonymous said...

You don't know me, but I came across your blog and love it! I find myself thinking the same thing. The thing is too is that I know who is looking at my blog. Aside from the map that is on our blog, there is another way that I know the URL of the person looking. I had to put a msg on mine saying a similar thing. Anyway...I love what you wrote and agree!