Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Ah Salespeople

I've recently read several posts about salespeople so I thought I'd add my two cents. They are pretty much worthless. I've had two experiences worth mentioning. First you should know that I live in a pretty new neighborhood so there are always people knocking on my door. It took me several weeks to learn not to answer the door. Slow I know, I just thought it would be some well wishing neighbor welcoming to the neighborhood instead I got "Hello, you look like you could use the Sports package from comcast!" Seriously? That's your best salespitch? Get off my porch. So there was one guy who was selling pest control. I open the door. He says "Hi I'm here from Insecticide." Long pause. Scans my porch. "Do you get any bugs around here?" Quite the sales man. Shoo. The worst was last summer I was getting ready to go to the airport, my bags were packed and I was doing some last min. dishes waiting for my father in law to pick me up. Those of you who know my father in law will have some inkling as to the unfortunate salesman's eventual demise. So I was washing my dishes when the doorbell rings. Assuming it's my ride, I tell Abby it's her Grandpa and to go open the door, while I dry my hands. Abs says, "Hi, come on in." What infuriates me is the guy did. On the say so of a two year old. It's just me and my kid at home. Then before I get a word out of my mouth he tries to sell me a vacuum, which he claims is worth $2000. A Kirby vac. I tell him I'm on my way to the airport and don't have the time. By this time he has fully assembled a vacuum in my front hall. Lightening speed I tell you. Then he begins vacuuming. All you salesmen out there a word of advice. Don't come in a house where there is only one woman at home. Don't try to make a sale while someone is leaving for the airport. He also invites his partner in. Creepy. By this time I'm very frustrated and nervous and I just want them to leave. And it shows. Fortunately for me this is about when Steve shows up. Unfortunately for them. They also make the poor decision of trying to sell him a vacuum. To make a long story short he tosses them out on their rears. The other sales guy worth mentioning is my favorite. He was selling magazines to earn money for his college education. After explaining this he asks me "so is your Mom here?" With a perfectly straight face I say, "no sorry, she's out of town." And close the door. Sorry this is so long, but you're the one who's reading it. Hope you enjoy.

4 comments:

elesa said...

Hee Hee! That made me laugh and laugh. I'm going to start using that as my escape route "Oh, sorry, my mom isn't here right now." Doesn't matter how old I look. If nothing else it will catch them off guard long enough for me to escape through my secret passage way and leave them scratching their heads in confusion. Victory is mine!

Anonymous said...

I love imagining my dad throwing those punks out. I'll bet they tell all their salesman buddies about it holding a flashlight below their faces around the campfire like a scary story!

Leon said...

You, I have some very good friends who have done sales jobs... Mostly security systems (If you need a good security system to keep sales people away, I'm sure they would sell you one, hah!) Anyway, I guess I'm just a little sympathetic to those guys trying to make money for college, but seriously going inside your house because a two-year-old invited them... I would throw them out too! Bad form. Also, having been a missionary, I know what it is like going door to door. Knowing someone is home but not answering is frustrating. Having doors slammed in your face (or in the case of Japan away from your face actually) is frustrating too. And it really feels good when somone will take just a minute or two to listen to you, even if they end up telling you no. However as a missionary. I never went inside somone's house uninvited, and if there wasn't a man present, I didn't go in at all. If people were really busy, I would leave them alone. Although a lot of people say they are busy when they aren't just because tey don't want to listen to you (again frustrating). Some principles sales people need to learn that I used on my mission: Be extremely cautious when dealing with the opposite gender. Deal with the head of the household as much as possible, Always ask permission before you do anything, Don't be pushy, No means no.

Boy I'm long winded aren't I?

AJ Stevens said...

Yep.