Monday, August 9, 2010

No Title

Do you know what phrase I hate? "That's easier said than done." EVERYTHING is easier said than done, except perhaps breathing. And the phrase is always used in crazy situations, like if I was planning to break into the Pentagon and steal secret documents someone is bound to say, "You know, that's easier said than done." Of course it is! But it could also be accurately used if I was planning to go for a light jog. Or sit on the couch and watch tv for two hours. Or potty train a 3 year old. I'm going to start using it in everyday situations until people realize what a ridiculous phrase it is. Next time my friend is planning on cooking dinner for her family of four I will say, "that's easier said than done!" Just a little word of encouragement. Or if my sister is planning to take a shower, "Easier said than done." (Which if you know my sister, her showers take some serious planning and time) Or if James is going to remove someone's gall bladder, "That's way easier said than done." What is the point of the words? Are you trying to discourage someone or do think you are making an eye opening revelation? Updating my blog is much easier said than done. I say I am going to do that about every three days. Anyway to sum up everything is easier to talk about doing than to actually do. Unless you are an Ent I guess, then you can use the phrase. Now all my nerd friends are smiling and nodding their heads and all my normal friends are thinking "What? Has Marion lost her mind?" Yes, yes I have. Although I'm not sure I have any normal friends, to be completely honest.

6 comments:

ae said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ae said...

Second try: Most things are easier conceived than executed, but the sometimes the planning is the hard part. And sometimes the conversation in my house regarding sitting on the couch and watching TV is more complicated than just watching the thing.
Come to think of it, in my house the phrase is: "Can we just do it, rather than talking about it?"

elesa said...

As a very normal person, I take high offense. But I am too busy trying to think of things that are easier to do than say that I can't hardly type this. What about people with really, really bad stutters?

elesa said...

Now I can't stop thinking about this. Maybe the american language makes it to easy for us to talk the talk. Maybe instead you should have to say something like "I will now conduct primary updatificationing on my blog-a-log-a-ding-dong whilst sitting on my rumpus directly across from the computorial thing-a-majig." And if you had to say it exactly like that every time because you would get an electric shock if you said it wrong, you might decide it was easier just to do it.

elesa said...

Or if you are in a country where you don't speak the language. Way harder to look through my french/english dictionary, and then slaughter the language while I tell my hunky new beau that I gotta pee than it would be just to go and pee already. boy, I bet you are glad for all my awesome examples and stuff, huh?

Nic@Nite said...

Its posts like this that should make you realize how important your blog is to the world!